Tuesday 27 October 2009

My Manifesto

a
Unfortunately, I couldn't fit a lot of text onto my Guild regulation-size manifesto. Therefore, I have expanded a little bit on each of the points below.

1. The Guild
I will raise awareness of the Guild in the Postgraduate & Mature student community, so they can benefit from the services and opportunities that we provide.
a
2. The Postgraduate Space
The Guild Build should ensure that Postgraduate students have a space in which to work and network.

3. Funding
Without student loans and considering the high fees charged to overseas students, Postgraduates face much financial hardship. I will therefore promote opportunities for income amongst the Postgraduate community such as part-time jobs, funding councils and the ALF. Our membership should also be aware of the Higher Education Funding Debate.

4. Going National
Our Postgraduate & Mature student community should be represented nationally through regional networking events and at the National Conferences for both the Postgraduates & the Mature Students.

5. Development
I will liaise with the College Research Skills module convenors to ensure that Postgraduates realise the opportunities for development offered by the Guild when completing their Training & Needs Analysis documentation.

6. Networking
The Postgraduate & Mature student community should become just that: a community. I will liaise with the Graduate School to ensure that there are regular opportunities to bring students together for social events and for campaigns that they care about.
a
More projects will no doubt appear throughout the year and I will always have to respond to the needs of our membership. However, for now, I think it is a manageable and realistic starting point.
a
If you have any specific issues that you would like me to address then please email me at pmso@guild.bham.ac.uk.
a

No comments:

Post a Comment