Friday 23 October 2009

Simon Fairbanks (PMSO)


Hello all,

My name is Simon Fairbanks and I have recently been elected as your Postgraduate & Mature Students' Officer - or PMSO for short.

The PMSO is part of the Guild Officer Team. It is a part-time position, so I will be carrying out my role alongside my studies (I am an English Literature Masters student in my spare time.)

The PMSO is an important role because there are 7,500 postgraduates, both taught and research, who study at this University. That's one quarter of the student population.

In addition, there are also many more mature students out there sitting in undergraduate lecture theatres. The definition of a mature student is anybody who begins their course at the age of 21 or above. Interestingly, this means that every postgraduate is a mature student but not every mature student is a postgraduate! Either way, I am a representative for all mature students, including those undertaking undergraduate studies.

The PMSO should ensure postgraduate & mature students are getting the most out of their time at University. The PMSO will organise campaigns, networking events & liaise with national bodies to improve the student experience for these students.

This is the job I have just been elected for. It is a daunting but exciting opportuntiy and I will do my best to make this a great year for postgraduate & mature students.

Watch this space!
a

No comments:

Post a Comment